Amber S (The birth of Amaria)

Her labor was by far my hardest and most challenging. I went in for an induction Sunday at 5pm on March 17th. At 7pm they inserted the cervidil after running tests to check on baby's position & size she was heads down and estimated 7-9lbs. I was 1cm 50% effaced. Around midnight I started getting backaches & cramps but couldn't sleep they gave me ambien and I slept till about 3 am.

Pitocin was started at 5am I was check again by OB still the same 1cm 50% but now soft. I had pitocin from 5am-noon without any progress in my cervix and mild contractions on max dose. I thought they would send me home, but they said I had an hour to make progress and if I didn't they would stop the pit and re insert cervidil & repeat pit the next day. Well at 2pm my water broke it felt different from last time too it was like a gas bubble that I felt move down & then just a warm gush 😊 I was at 2cm 70% and contraction became every 3-5 mins and got uncomfortable. Around 11pm after laboring through painful contractions at 2 mins apart for 9 hrs I could no longer stand being still in bed it chairs so I got up and walkeda lott I was checked and only 3cm 90% effaced.

I continued walking until I couldn't move or talk through contractions by midnight I couldn't stop crying the pain was sooo bad they couldn't turn down the pitocin and I was still 3cm. I threw my plan of no epidural out the window. The anesthesia angel arrived at 12:20 and got me all dialed in I felt immediate relief once he got it in place. (It took 2 try's and 4 contractions from hell) I was checked and 4cm 100% effaced. I fell asleep for and hour and the nurse woke me up saying she thought I was close at 1am I was 7cm a few mins later I felt pressure that tickled they called the OB and checked me I was 9cm.  Soon the nurse said I was complete and I began pushing. I couldn't feel the pain of pushing but the pressure so after about 20 mins of pushing & only 3 stitches she was out!

They let my husband cut the cord and whisked her to the heating table because I was bleeding heavily and they couldn't stop it. They dumped a bag a pitocin and inserted 4 cytotec pills and massaged my stomach like crazy (I was glad I couldn't feel this because the next day my stomach was black & blue from the pressure used) finally the bleeding stopped and they finished cleaning up. After the birth I could see that she was much smaller than my son although she was only 1lb and 1 inch smaller she's more petite. Her placenta was on the smaller side from my blood pressure issues.

I had planned a med free birth but due to the induction and use of pitocin the contractions were much more intense than that my previous med free birth. Also since I had stalled out I felt like I was never gonna progress. So I ended up with the epidural which was amazing relief after 36 hrs of only a few hours sleep. I haven't had any complications from the Epi and it was placed perfectly. So far my recovery is going good. I have a lot of muscle soreness and bad postpartum cramping but thankfully I didn't repeat a 3rd degree tear this time 😃 My little Amaria has jaundice something my son never had 😕 but we are treating it with sunshine & lots of nursing we go back Thursday to get a check up.

Nursing didn't come easily this time she had a really hard time latching and was very sleepy but now she has it down great! My son Michael is a very proud big brother who is always talking about his "baby" so far so good with only small hiccups so far.  I'm tired which I expected and so very in loved with my family of four.

Happy Mother's day to you Amber, and thank you for sharing your 2nd birth story with us.

If you would like to share your birth story email us at or on Facebook